[Koha] bulk import of authorised values?

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Sat Nov 27 05:38:19 NZDT 2010

Peter,

Is there a way to do a bulk import of "authorized values"?  I have not been
> able to find KOHA user interface support for this.

"Koha" is not an acronym, so it need not be entirely capitalized. The name
comes from a Maori tradition. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koha_(custom)

> If there is no user interface support for this, then can I *safely* add new
> authorised values to the SQL authorised_values table directly?

Absolutely. This is how we populated our database with authorised values for
our locations.

> I am wondering if I can do something like this:
>
> In MYSQL, to add a new "MILITARY" authorised value to LOC:
> 1. SELECT * from authorised_values;
>    And determine the next 'id' available, call it <id> in what follows.
> 2. INSERT INTO authorised_values
>    VALUES (<id>, 'LOC', 'military', 'MILITARY', NULL);

Skip step 1. id will automatically be incremented. Use a query like the
following:

INSERT INTO authorised_values (category, authorised_value, lib) VALUES
('LOC', 'MILITARY', 'Military'), ('LOC', 'ANOTHER', 'Another location...');

Regards,
Jared Camins-Esakov

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Freelance bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/