[Koha] How to generate icon for "electronic - remote" books

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Sat Nov 6 13:49:33 NZDT 2010

2010/11/6 Stacy Pober <stacy.pober at manhattan.edu>:
> Zeno,
>
> You misunderstood.  I am not looking to generate custom icons.  There are
> icons that appear to be standard in the XSLT display that are not documented
> in the Koha manuals.  One example is the icon for biography, which does show
> up with XSLT turned on, but is not listed in the documentation.
>
> An example would be the icon for "biography", which looks like a little
> Playskool weeble.  The icon isn't documented in the manual as far as I can
> determine.  Same goes for the "remote" icon for electronic remote
> resources.  (i.e. internet accessible ebooks).
>
> I searched the catalog at some independent Koha sites and found the same
> sort of icons showing up when XSLT was turned on, so this isn't a LEK issue
> as such.  Whether there are some specific additions to the icon lists in the
> LEK software is something I don't know. because the manual doesn't seem to
> be different in this section.
>
> Anyone have more information on which MARC field and fixed-field positions
> generate each icon?   I would like to customize our MARC records for ebooks
> so that they produce the correct icons.  Some of the MARC records from
> publishers are somewhat sloppy in this regard.  Some use coding that will
> put the "computer file" icon in the XSLT display.  (Springer Link ebook
> records directly from Springer have this issue, though the OCLC supplied
> sets for those books do not.)

Hi Stacy

The way Koha choses its icons is by following the Library of Congress
specification for doing so.

It is a combo of leader position 6, and the 006, 007, and 008 fields
http://www.loc.gov/marc/formatintegration.html

For instance for your Biography example above, the position 6 of the
leader will have a value that corresponds to BK (Book), now we know we
have to look in 008 to find out more info

Now, if position 34 of the 008 field has a value in it, we have a
biography (it might be a for autobiography, b for individual biography
.. .and so on).

Thats how we find out something is a biography, isn't MARC fun!

Now for your ebooks, they would/should be of type CF (which is either
determined by position 6 of the leader being 'a' and position 7 being
'b', 'i', or 's'. Or by position 6 of the leader being 'm'.  From that
we know we have a computer file

Now, we have to look at position 0, and position 0 of the 007 field,
position 0 should be 'c' (for computer I guess), position 1 should be
'r' for remote.
http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/concise/bd007c.html

Clear as mud? Yeah, MARC is awesome!

Chris