[Koha] Koha (was Introduction - Sean McIntyre)

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Mon May 17 10:47:45 NZST 2010

On Sat, 15 May 2010, Sean McIntyre wrote:

> Hi Chris N,
>
> Thanks for the nice welcome.  Just curious, what high school did you
> graduate from?  I graduated from Robinson in '85.
>
> So if I understand your first paragraph, the confusion was created when
> we made available a "flavor" for download, rather than just submitting
> changes back to the community elected release manager.  Did I understand
> that correctly?  If so, I can say that there is no intent to ever do
> such a thing again for a variety of reasons, including the confusion it
> has caused.
>
> Glad to hear your point that the different "flavor" issue pre-dates the
> acquisition, we certainly felt we had inherited a challenge in this area.
>
> I like your point on simply merging everything back together and thus
> eliminating these complexities.  This is not a small piece of work by
> any means, but I am biased towards "simple".  Unfortunately, the LLEK
> code base was not maintained in such a way as to make merging back with
> the community maintained Official Koha easy; it in fact will be
> challenging.  No one can say with certainty what the intent of the
> LibLime owners were at the time LLEK was established, but if they were
> intending to fork the code it would look very much like what we have
> acquired.

Is there any reason you could not make the code repository available to
the public?

This would let others look at the differences and start working to figure
out how to merge the two.

While this is not as good as you activly pushing the code and working to
merge it, it is far better than the current situation, and given the time
commitments that you are referring to, it may be the best that you can do
for the short term.

David Lang