[Koha] Koha (was Introduction - Sean McIntyre)

Bob Birchall @ Calyx bob at calyx.net.au
Sun May 16 23:23:05 NZST 2010

I too extend a sincere welcome to Sean.  I've been greatly encouraged by the
release of code in Harley and by Sean's sincere words to the list.

Nonetheless an aspect of the discussion has heightened my overall concerns.
I had not visited koha.org for some time.  I did so today to follow up the
discussion between Sean and Chris N.  What has been published there is
disappointing to say the least.

First, there is no such thing as Community Koha.  There is Koha.  And there
is Liblime's closed source fork.  (Though enough has been written on and off
this list to confirm that Liblime's customers should simply demand delivery
of the source code.  If that were refused, copyright holders of the software
being distributed by Liblime can assert their rights.  There are quite a
number of people in a position to do that.)

Secondly, the site unambiguously encourages libraries to download Harley as
though it is something superior to Koha.  What is the future upgrade path
for libraries that adopt it?

Whilst these, the insulting and incorrect post to koha-community.org (April
30) and the NZ trademark application remain in place, the motives of Sean's
organisation remain very much in question.

Bob Birchall
CALYX