[Koha] Items for bulk ebook MARC records

Jos Black jos.kohado at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 22:08:57 NZST 2010

Hello

This is my first question to the list since introducing myself a few months
ago,
so please forgive me if I’m asking a silly question, but I haven’t yet been
able to find an
answer out there.

I’m currently trying to set Koha up as a catalogue and access gateway to our
eresources collection, as our current (proprietary) library system is a
nightmare to import anything into.  As a first attempt I have successfully
imported nearly 3000 MARC21 bib records from one of our ebook suppliers into
test install of Koha (3.00.00.107, hope to upgrade soon!).  However, when I
search for any of the titles in the OPAC, I get the ‘Availability’ message
‘No
items available’ in the brief results, and in the detail holdings tab I get
‘No
physical items for this record’.   The MARC records as supplied don’t have
any
item data, either in the Koha 952 item tag, or even item data I could map
across
in the 852, and I’m yet to hear from the supplier that they can supply item
data.

These messages will be off-putting for most of our readers, many of whom are
new
to using libraries, and the vast majority probably won’t ask for help, so I
need
to find a way to sort this out.

How could I tackle this apart from a huge effort in reader education,
modifying
my copy of Koha, or individually creating thousands of items?  I have a
couple
of ideas but don’t want to reinvent the wheel so would truly appreciate your
help.

Thanks!
Jos