[Koha] Koha Barcode symbology

koha at joetho.com koha at joetho.com
Fri Jun 4 11:44:09 NZST 2010

A fairly common standard: 14 character codabar mod 10

character 1:  2=patron  3=item

characters 2-5:  your 4 digit organization /location code

characters 6-13:   actual number of item

character 14: check digit

Whether you use codabar mod 10 or just a plain 3 of 9, a 14 character
barcode is pretty standard. With the plain old 3 of 9 (code39) symbology,
there is generally no check digit.

Characters 2-5 should be unique to your geographic area, if possible. We
have a system in Kansas of tracking this, but it is very recent. Your
state/region may or may not have information like this.
http://www.bcmccoy.com/library-barcodes.html

- Joe

<snip>

My question is what kind of symbology does Koha support?  I've been given
options from the vendor  like Code 39 or Codabar.   Could you please advise
what type of symbology I need to order?

Thanks so much,

Janet Deavor