[Koha] 952p must it be unique?

Zeno Tajoli tajoli at cilea.it
Thu Jan 21 01:32:31 NZDT 2010

Dear Elaine,

At 11.36 19/01/2010, Elaine Bradtke wrote:
>I am wrestling with what to do with bound with items - we seem to have
>a significant number of pamphlets, music scores, etc. that were bound
>together.  The whole volume has the same accession number / barcode.
>Because the volume itself is an artificial construction (basically a
>wrapper for the items within) we haven't created a record for the
>volume as a whole.  Our current system happily accepts multiple
>records with the same number.  But I'm a bit worried about what might
>happen in Koha.

the subfield 952p in Koha MARC21 standard setup is the place for barcode.
http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=en:documentation:marc21holdings_holdings_data_information_for_vendors

If you want to use circulation you need to have uniq barcode.
But is not mandatory at lavel of data storage (MySQL defintions).

So what you can do ?

During the inpt of items data (with also barcode) in my installation
is present a check
to control if the barcode is unique.
Leave this check and insert some data. Than try if all is OK for you.

In the future you could have problems on circulation.

Bye
Zeno Tajoli

Zeno Tajoli
CILEA - Segrate (MI)