[Koha] 952p must it be unique?

Elaine Bradtke bradtke.e at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 19 23:36:36 NZDT 2010

I am wrestling with what to do with bound with items - we seem to have
a significant number of pamphlets, music scores, etc. that were bound
together.  The whole volume has the same accession number / barcode.
Because the volume itself is an artificial construction (basically a
wrapper for the items within) we haven't created a record for the
volume as a whole.  Our current system happily accepts multiple
records with the same number.  But I'm a bit worried about what might
happen in Koha.  Our rare  materials (where almost all of the bound
with items are) are gradually being moved into better storage, so I
can see where it makes sense to be able to 'move' all the bound with
parts together using one barcode.
What happens if you search on a barcode and you get multiple hits?
Do I need to create an artificial parent record with the barcode for
the bound volume and then make child records that don't have barcodes
for the individual items within?
These items will not be circulated, so it's less of an issue in that respect.

We also have a few multi-format boxed sets where individual items have
been catalogued.  Similar kind of thing, they aren't circulating
items, they're always kept together.  The component parts were given
letters after the main number: 1011a, 1011b, 1011c, etc. possibly
because these items may be physically seperated from their mates,
whereas the bound items can't be.  I think we need to be more
consistent here, but that's not really a Koha problem.

--
Elaine