[Koha] Licensing on koha-community.org

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sun Feb 7 09:54:08 NZDT 2010

Chris Nighswonger <cnighswonger at foundations.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Liz Rea <lrea at nekls.org> wrote: [...]
> > Does anyone have suggestions as to which license, and what
> > wording, to put on the site to license its content in a
> > FOSS-friendly manner?
>
> Since we are in the process of relicensing the wiki under GPL2, I
> would suggest we also license this under GPL2 for consistency's
> sake.  It would be good to get all things Koha under the same
> license.

There are two good ways to approach this IMO:-

1. much of the other Koha-related materials are under GPL2+, so we
should license the community website under the same terms, so all
the explanations and arguments made before still apply and we don't
have to think about it too much; OR

2. we consider that stuff on the community website is advertising that
should be spread as widely as possible, so we put it under a really
liberal license like No Problem Bugroff, WTFPL, MIT/Expat or anything
else compatible with GPL2+ (just in case it ends up in Koha itself).

Personally, as a worker-owner of an asset-locked company, I find it
much easier and safer not to assign copyright to anyone, but others
may prefer to assign copyright (or execute FLAs or whatever is
appropriate) to HLT or some other friendly place that is willing to
accept it.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software