[Koha] Patron Cards and Book labels: 3.06 -- How are people printing them?

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Sat Aug 14 00:27:26 NZST 2010

Hi David,

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 11:24 PM, David M. Bucknell <dbucknell at iteachnet.org
> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Printing Spine label and patron cards:  I started working on this in
> May and 3.06 is
> still the preferred stable version.  I've seen two posts that say to
> wait for 3.2.

3.2 includes a complete re-write of the label and card creator code. So
waiting is probably the thing to do.

> I've installed in various configurations (now have Thai lang with
> marc-21; strange, but
> it seems to work for input and searching).d
>
> I can't get any of the label options to work (English lang mostly) for
> books or patrons
> (at least not more than minimally -- I can get a barcode graphically
> and as text, but
> that's it.  (Oh, and a nice red box around the items.  Nothing I do to
> customize (choose
> what's on the label) has any effect.

Label printing is pretty broken when it comes to unicode support. The short
of it is that the pdf standard is not unicode friendly. This is true of 3.2
as well.

Having said that, we printed several thousand English (and a few Spanish)
labels with the 3.0.x labels code. So it will work for English and probably
some other Latin based alphabets.

> Finally, I can't get the export to csv to work to try it.

I'm not sure what might be going on here.

> Apologies for not seeing it if it's obvious, but now I would like to
> ask for suggestions.
>  Am I wrong or is this just not working?  How are people getting
> their labels and patron
> cards done in 3.06?

The patron card code in 3.0.x is basically inflexible as many of the
settings are hard coded. You will have to wait for 3.2 stable or go ahead
and grab 3.2 alpha2 or the latest development master from
http://git.koha-community.org/koha.git

Kind Regards,
Chris