[Koha] Seeking opinions on the OPAC MARC views

M. Brooke Helman abesottedphoenix at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 7 07:30:14 NZST 2010

Salvete!

Owen asked if anyone uses the "MARC view" in the OPAC.

As a cataloger, I use this on a semi-frequent basis when I get sick of all the
tabs to view a MARC record in the staff client. On a related note (and a reason
why to keep this public), I often view other library's MARC records to compare
something or other. You're right, though: I don't think many typical users would
ever view the MARC record.

       I should hope that it stays as well. It's a feature that's pretty
standard in an ILS, and is quite handy for cataloguing. However, I'm not at all
opposed to sticking it in small inconspicuous font in a lower corner of the page
to not clutter up the display for Patrons. If we decide together, then the Koha
community of cataloguers would know where to look and click. I do appreciate the
spirit of decluttering things; I'd love to see a first page similar to 2.0 days
with a text box and not much else. One click down could have all the cool
catalogue art.

Cheers,
Brooke