[Koha] What is the coded location qualifier in 952 $f

Galen Charlton gmcharlt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 07:04:27 NZST 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Erik Lewis <elewis at ngrl.org> wrote:
> I'm getting ready to do a much more thorough load of marc into koha
> from my current system.  In following the 952 framework I'm stuck on
> subfield f the "coded location qualifier".  What is it?

Practical answer: a field to ignore entirely ;)

Long answer: It's probably derived from the MARC21 definition of the
852 $f, also called "coded location qualifier", which is meant to
encode a situation where most of the items in a run of a serial are
held in a location (e.g., the magazine stacks) with a few held in a
second location (the new magazines area).  For the gory details,
please see:

http://www.loc.gov/marc/holdings/hd852.html

Koha doesn't do anything with that subfield, and certainly makes no
attempt to parse the coding.

Regards,

Galen
--