[Koha] Koha support by BSZ

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Fri Sep 11 08:10:05 NZST 2009

Salvete!

>The 2 ideas might not be exclusive. The "official", worldwide kohaCon

Oh no, I'm a hedonist. I don't do well with exclusive.

>in NZ. A KohaCon US: given the state of the economy, I doubt many
>people in the US will have founding to go over to New Zealand, so a
>KohaCon US is in order in any case. And a KohaCon Europe, for the same
>(sad, economic) reasons.

*nod*

>Or: KohaCon NZ in 2010. KohaCon US in 2010 too. KohaCon Europe in 2011.
>But I personally would love (I don't know how to stress this enough)
>to go to Wellington, visit Levin and Horowhenua LT, meet with some
>people in Real Life for the 1st time. And there are French-speaking
>islands in the South Pacific too: maybe I can go visit them to try to
>convince them to switch to Koha.

A couple of caveats. If there were to be local flavours, which I think
is a good idea (you have this with IFLA, ALA, CILIP, et cetera) I would
urge meticulous advance planning so that multiple conferences didn't
conflict.
I'd love to see a regional approach similar to my Fraternity's employed.
Our National conference rotates by Region every other year, so that
eventually, it will be in your backyard. Also, my Fraternity sets things
up so that there's a regional conference in alternation with the
National. This allows people to get to both if they choose without too
much strain on the budget.
I remember people voicing that they got their funding a little late to
get to KohaCon in Plano. When is an ideal time, if ever? Obviously we
want to accommodate both programmers and librarians. Maybe I am showing
my bias, but I would think that early August might be a good time for
us. (That said, I'd love NZ to be in January for purposes of getting
Chris cocktails. It goes back to the lost New Year's. I can't help it!
Who knows, this might not be good for Chris.)

Cheers,
Brooke