[Koha] Welcome to the "Koha" mailing list

Colin Campbell colin.campbell at ptfs-europe.com
Wed Sep 2 03:36:33 NZST 2009

On 09/01/2009 03:51 PM, BWS Johnson wrote:
> Salvete!
>
>  >I think its the ISO language code. az is the one you need.
>

> If your suspicion is correct, and by 2 matches, which warily isn't
> enough data for a proper pattern, what is the rationale behind clinging
> to the old-1 format over the more comprehensive -2?
>
> http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/code_list.php

If you look at how locale names etc. are created the preference is for
the two letter form ( e.g. en_GB.utf8) it also corresponds to the form
used in HTML language codes (and wikipedia urls). It's the de facto
(possibly in some case de jure) standard. I think in xml if you can't
represent the language in a 2 character iso-639 code you use an IANA
assigned code rather than use iso639-2.

Cheers
Colin

--