[Koha] [Koha-devel] version 3.0.4 on download.koha.org

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Oct 29 00:06:07 NZDT 2009

Joshua Ferraro wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 3:02 PM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > Firstly, download.koha.org was promoted as "the usual location"
> > to download Koha from for something over two years, as in
> > http://lists.katipo.co.nz/pipermail/koha/2008-January/012900.html
> I didn't mean to imply otherwise. What I meant to clarify is why we
> weren't deleting one or more of the 3.00.04 releases HDL
> distributed--ie, download.koha.org preserves the history of the
> project's releases and HDL's three 3.00.04 releases are part of that
> history.

Even ignoring the gaps (some understandable like the pipex.com-hosted
2.0 releases, some surprising like the 2.0pres), most of the files
there have a much later timestamp than the originals, so it doesn't
seem a terribly accurate historical archive.  I feel that this sudden
new announcement of download.koha.org's purpose is a bit odd.

> [...] I'm also not interested in a debate
> about whether or not anyone should or should not have access to
> LibLime servers or whether or not LibLime should or should not host
> download.koha.org. [...]

Well, that's a bit of a change from "though LibLime does own koha.org,
we'd look for the comunity to decide what would be suitable as far as
content on the community site" (Joshua Ferraro, #koha, 2008-08-23).
It seems pretty clear that the community would like empowerment of the
community's release managers to manage releases on download.koha.org.
I guess we could hold a poll if you'd like, but why cause the koha
community that pain?

> > Yes, I sort of agree with this.  Having three 3.0.4s releases wasn't a
> > good thing.  However, what's done is done and I expect HDL will have
> > learnt from the mistakes, so this sort of public rebuke seems painful.
> If this were the first time we've had these kinds of problems with
> releases I'd completely agree.

Please excuse my poor memory, but that comment means little to me.

> Also, Chris Cormack asked about changing the homepage to link to
> 3.00.04, but so far we haven't heard from HDL about his intentions to
> roll 3.00.05 to fix the previous issues with 3.00.04 and
> 3.00.04_final, and to provide a single download point for this
> release. To avoid further user confusion I suggest we await his
> comments on that.

OK - HDL?  (And had anyone asked you before this?)

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software