[Koha] [Koha-devel] version 3.0.4 on download.koha.org

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Wed Oct 28 10:12:02 NZDT 2009

Hi MJ,

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 3:02 PM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> Joshua Ferraro wrote:
>> download.koha.org is a site that LibLime created to provide a historical
>> archive of Koha releases done to date. It currently resides on LibLime
>> servers that have other web sites so we're not able to provide direct
>> shell/ftp access at this time.
>
> OK.  Just two problems with that:-
>
> Firstly, download.koha.org was promoted as "the usual location"
> to download Koha from for something over two years, as in
> http://lists.katipo.co.nz/pipermail/koha/2008-January/012900.html
I didn't mean to imply otherwise. What I meant to clarify is why we
weren't deleting one or more of the 3.00.04 releases HDL
distributed--ie, download.koha.org preserves the history of the
project's releases and HDL's three 3.00.04 releases are part of that
history.

> Secondly, why does it being on a LibLime server mean RMs cannot have
> direct access at this time?  If it were generally true that one cannot
> log in to another company's server, all the hosting companies would
> never exist.  I expect uploaders would sign reasonable terms of use if
> LibLime wanted to be really cautious.
I don't have shell or ftp access to any other Koha company's server so
I'm not sure what you mean. But I'm also not interested in a debate
about whether or not anyone should or should not have access to
LibLime servers or whether or not LibLime should or should not host
download.koha.org. We've given the RM/RMaint a perfectly sane way to
get releases uploaded to download.koha.org, and the process has been
working fine so far.

> If it's some technical problem, could we point download.koha.org at
> another vendor's or library's server for the time being?
>
>> While an interesting idea, providing direct access to download.koha.org as
>> you suggest would not have solved the problems that occurred with this last
>> release of 3.00.04. [...]
>
> Yes, I sort of agree with this.  Having three 3.0.4s releases wasn't a
> good thing.  However, what's done is done and I expect HDL will have
> learnt from the mistakes, so this sort of public rebuke seems painful.
If this were the first time we've had these kinds of problems with
releases I'd completely agree.

Also, Chris Cormack asked about changing the homepage to link to
3.00.04, but so far we haven't heard from HDL about his intentions to
roll 3.00.05 to fix the previous issues with 3.00.04 and
3.00.04_final, and to provide a single download point for this
release. To avoid further user confusion I suggest we await his
comments on that.

Cheers,

Josh

> Regards,
> --
> MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software
> www.software.coop http://mjr.towers.org.uk        |  .... co
> IMO only: see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html |  .... op

CEO                         migration, training, maintenance, support