[Koha] Integrating library automation package with digital library software and workshop material

Anuradha.K.T. anu at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in
Fri Oct 23 20:20:23 NZDT 2009

*** Apologies for cross posting a long mail ***

As part of a project entitled "Enhancing Knowledge Innovation Culture of
Libraries through Union Catalogue" carried out at National Centre for
Science Information, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, funded
by The International Development Research Centre, Canada, a prototype
union catalog is created using Koha, a open source library automation
software with 4 different collections: 1. Records from a big library
(about 120,000 records)  2. Records from a medium size library (about
20,000 records) 3. A few multilingual records downloaded from the Net and
4. About 15 e-books downloaded from the Net, which do not violate
copyright law.

With these four collections we have successfully addressed the issues of
data mining, data migration, bulk import, multilingual records handling
and full text searching (using both Greenstone and Fedora Commons) in a
library automation package. All these are carried out using Koha as it
supports developmental work. The implementation of these can be accessed
at:
http://dharmaganja.ncsi.iisc.ernet.in:8082/

Though we have extensively tested other software: NewGenLib, PMB, Vufind
and Evergreen (library automation package), because of clashes with the
supporting software versions, we have not implemented them on the server.

A series of workshops was organized to train manpower in using the
available technological tools for library automation (Koha, NewGenLib,
PMB, Vufind, MarcEdit, Greenstone, Fedora Commons, PHP and CSS tutorials,
Ubuntu installation). The workshop material including technical sessions
and lab sessions can be accessed at:
http://dharmaganja.ncsi.iisc.ernet.in/workshopmodi2/

Whenever the material from this site is made use of, kindly acknowledge
the site and let us know by sending a mail to anu at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in.

--
Regards,
Dr.Anuradha.K.T.