[Koha] Open source ballot design

Thomas Dukleth kohalist at agogme.com
Wed Oct 14 03:43:55 NZDT 2009

Reply inline:

Original Subject:  Re: [Koha] First things first for a Koha foundation
On Tue, October 13, 2009 12:53, Chris Nighswonger wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Kyle Hall <kyle.m.hall at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the one question is enough. I for one plan to keep myself out
>> of the kitchen. There are plenty of chefs there already.
>>

> Kyle has hit the nail on the head here: Too many cooks spoil the soup.

This is not about adding more questions as such it is about helping to
ensure that the existing questions are posed in a well understood and
neutral manner.

This is not about changing the recipe but about avoiding bugs in the way
the questions are asked.  Questions with bugs give answers contrary to the
intent of both the questioner and the respondent.

> It is clear that she is very conscious of the opinions and concerns
> expressed in recent days. Doubtless these have been taken into
> consideration.

[...]

Chris, I suspect you may have changed your mind since you discussed the
issue with me on the #koha IRC when realising just how difficult it is to
write these questions well.

That is the very reason Nicole needs more than the good guidance she
already has.  She and those working with her need actual example wording
of questions.  No small group of people can come up with the best ideas of
how to implement something no matter how well they know the principles
which they are trying to follow.

We had been given two weeks from the IRC meeting on Wednesday to analyse
the previous results.  We should at least have until next Wednesday to put
forward some suggestions which may help the process.

I think that Nicole Engard, MJ Ray, and whoever else may be helping will
do something reasonable in the end.  If we only have reasonably well
written questions, then we will be almost certain to be discussing bylaws
and locations for an "independent foundation now" option for the next few
months with no foundation now.  An interim holding foundation is an actual
foundation now option.

We need much better than reasonably well written questions to avoid the
delay of foundation discussions without even a running interim foundation.
 We need the help of everyone to discover how to make the issue clear.

Thomas Dukleth
Agogme
109 E 9th Street, 3D
New York, NY  10003