[Koha] Defining community participation [was: Koha demo links on koha.org]

Colin Campbell colin.campbell at ptfs-europe.com
Tue Oct 13 08:12:20 NZDT 2009

On 10/12/2009 07:49 PM, Kyle Hall wrote:

> This is a stretch, but one could say that by releasing a tarball, and
> not a Git repository, that they are violating the GPL.
> The GPL states that "source code" for a work means the preferred form
> of the work for making modifications to it. One could argue that the
> preferred form for Koha is a Git repository, but since the GPL doesn't
> define 'preferred form' the potential for a violation remains unclear.
> Does anyone know of any precedent for such an issue?

All the clarifications, I've seen are that preferred form is the source
in a form from which you can build the application. (i.e. providing a
version of a unix utility in source that requires a non-unix environment
is a no-no)
I would think that that excludes enforcing the use of a particular
source control system. What that is, is a measure of is willingness to
cooperate with the community in development.
The GPL does not enforce cooperation but reserves the right for you to
cooperate if you wish. And it requires that the source be available for
the vendor's customers for these purposes, and the purpose of study.

Cheers
Colin

--
Colin Campbell