[Koha] Defining community participation [was: Koha demo links on koha.org]

Kyle Hall kyle.m.hall at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 07:49:35 NZDT 2009

I'm glad that I was able to be informative, I'm not always successful
at such things ; )

Owen is right. Liblime has stated that there will absolutely not be a
git repo made available. The only logical alternative is a tarball or
the source tree. This is assuming the code ever gets released. It's
simply untrue of Liblime to say that LEK is Open Source when the
sources have yet to be opened. They could say it will be Open Source
in the future, but that is not what they are saying. From
http://www.liblime.com/products/koha/koha-solution-comparison we see
they are claiming LEK as Open Source, but how can that be true, if
they have not made the source code available?

This is a stretch, but one could say that by releasing a tarball, and
not a Git repository, that they are violating the GPL.
The GPL states that "source code" for a work means the preferred form
of the work for making modifications to it. One could argue that the
preferred form for Koha is a Git repository, but since the GPL doesn't
define 'preferred form' the potential for a violation remains unclear.
Does anyone know of any precedent for such an issue?

Kyle

http://www.kylehall.info
Information Technology
Crawford County Federated Library System ( http://www.ccfls.org )