[Koha] Koha demo links on koha.org

Thomas Dukleth kohalist at agogme.com
Sun Oct 11 04:54:53 NZDT 2009

Reply inline:

On Fri, October 9, 2009 13:34, Paul Poulain wrote:

[...]

> We (community) lived with www.liblime.com/koha for years, but now, the
> main problem is that it is not a demo of the Koha anyone can download.
> And it is even not open source.

If LEK is written in Perl and anyone could download a copy without
obfiscation; then it would necessarily be open source.  Not being more
cooperative with the Koha community might be a problem even if there would
be a downloadable LEK but not as great a problem.

The real problem to be remedied is to find how to encourage LibLime to
make LEK downloadable, not at some future time, but now.

> So it has nothing to do on www.koha.org
> There is another related problem: liblime host & own koha.org domain name.
> So we can't do a lot of things about that, except crying & asking (which
> we must do, for sure, thanks owen to have pointed this problem)

The question which deserves asking until a proper answer is given is what
the community can do to encourage LEK to become downloadable now.
Certainly, linking to software presented as Koha which does not adhere to
the principles which the community has upheld for Koha is a serious
problem which may damage the reputation of Koha if it persists.  I too
thank Owen Leonard for alerting everyone to the discrepancy between the
demonstration link to page featuring LEK demonstrations for which the
source code is not available but the linked page does not link to a
working demonstration of Koha.

I would prefer that we continue to ask LibLime to make the source code to
LEK available and how the community may help make that happen with the
understanding that linking to LEK without the source code available is not
acceptable.  In any case, we should prepare to "do a lot of things about
that".  We should make that preparation through a community organised as a
legal entity with the capacity to act as a unified community to offer at
least some partial remedies having a significant effect.

Kyle Hall had offered some partial remedy.

First, we need to organise the Koha project under an existing foundation
to quickly provide the capacity to act as a unified community on Kyle's
suggestion and to consider other options which may be pursued as well.

Thomas Dukleth
Agogme
109 E 9th Street, 3D
New York, NY  10003