No subject

Wed Nov 11 03:01:06 NZDT 2009

a [development branch-where I can continue to make further modifications to
without the need to commit], and once an upgrade comes, then I will try to
MERGE my [development branch] + [central GIT].

Now for Koha - you are saying this is easier if I do a [Development Install,
rather than the recommended Production install]

Am I understanding your point, or am I way off?

I really wish I can read some resources out there that explain how to do
client modifications to opensource projects and still be up-to-date with
whatever the central repository has.  Any articles/websites would greatly
benefit me?

Best Regards,

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Chris Cormack <chrisc at catalyst.net.nz>wrote:

> [...]
> >    intranet/opac/etc....
> >
> >    But the freshly unzipped tar of koha 3.0.6 has many many different
> >    packages.  So I assume I can't do merge between the two, but rather I
> have
> >    to [Install KOHA 3.0.6] on a new machine THEN try and merge that
> installed
> >    koha with [our installed koha].  Both then will have the same
> >    intranet/opac directory structure and merging is possible.
> >
> >    Does that make sense? IS there is an easier way?? hehe
> >
> I'm not sure there is an easier way ... if you had been using git you
> could checkout the rel_3_0 branch in git, and merge your local branch
> into it, and run the upgrader.
>
> But as you have a pretty non standard Koha installation, I suspect yes,
> you are going to have to do a lot of work manually merging files, I
> strongly recommend if you are going to do local changes, that in future
> you do a dev install, which runs out of your git checkout and track your
> changes that way. It will make your life a million times easier when you
> want to upgrade to 3.2.0
>
> Chris
>
> >    Regards,
> >
> >    On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Chris Cormack <chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
> >
> >    wrote:
> >
> >      * Susan Mustafa (susan.mustafa at gmail.com) wrote:
> >      >    Good Day All,
> >
> >      Hi Susan
> >      >
> >      >    I would like to know how I can start the upgrade process from
> Koha
> >      3.00.00
> >      >    to Koha 3.0.6 [Kindly keep in mind that our version of Koha
> 3.0.0
> >      has a
> >      >    lot of in-house changes]
> >      >
> >      How have your changes been made, have they been checked into a local
> git
> >      repository?
> >      >    What steps should I follow? Resources to read?
> >      >
> >      Normally you would do an upgrade as outlined in one of the INSTALL
> >      files, but with local changes, its not as easy as that.
> >      >    I know there is the subversion vendor branches merge that I can
> do,
> >      but I
> >      >    am unsure if that will work and be sufficient.
> >      >
> >      We (the koha project) don't use subversion, do you mean git?
> >
> >      >    Kindly awaiting your response,
> >      >
> >      Chris
> >
> >      --
> >      Chris Cormack
> >      Catalyst IT Ltd.
> >      +64 4 803 2238
> >      PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington 6142, New Zealand
>
> --
> Chris Cormack
> Catalyst IT Ltd.
> +64 4 803 2238
> PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington 6142, New Zealand

--001636d34cc6d9f2de048cd01643

 questions, but I would hope that you can clarify something for me.<br><br>=
At the moment, my company is using only open-source software applications, =
such as OpenSIS, Koha, OpenERP, etc.<br>

 requirements/Modifications]<br><br>To further complicate things, the compa=
ny wants to keep up with the updates and upgrades that source forge produce=
s.<br>

nect to the central git, checkout a [development branch-where I can continu=
e to make further modifications to without the need to commit], and once an=
 upgrade comes, then I will try to MERGE my [development branch] + [central=
 GIT].<br>

tall, rather than the recommended Production install]<br><br>Am I understan=
ding your point, or am I way off?<br><br>I really wish I can read some reso=
urces out there that explain how to do client modifications to opensource p=
rojects and still be up-to-date with whatever the central repository has.=
=A0 Any articles/websites would greatly benefit me?<br>

 at 8:13 AM, Chris Cormack <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:chrisc at c=
 class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px=
 solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">

m">susan.mustafa at gmail.com</a>) wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0Chris, I am using &quot;SVN&quot;. =A0I made my own svn reposit=
ory, and not using<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0KOHA&#39;s git repository.<br>
vn<br>
repo? I fear you have made a real rod for your back if not.<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0Honestly, not sure of how to proceed.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0I looked at doing merging yesterday and such, but then noticed =
that the<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0final [Installed} koha, has the directory structure of<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0intranet/opac/etc....<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0But the freshly unzipped tar of koha 3.0.6 has many many differ=
ent<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0packages. =A0So I assume I can&#39;t do merge between the two, =
but rather I have<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0to [Install KOHA 3.0.6] on a new machine THEN try and merge tha=
t installed<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0koha with [our installed koha]. =A0Both then will have the same=
&gt; =A0 =A0intranet/opac directory structure and merging is possible.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0Does that make sense? IS there is an easier way?? hehe<br>
&gt;<br>
 you<br>
could checkout the rel_3_0 branch in git, and merge your local branch<br>
into it, and run the upgrader.<br>
But as you have a pretty non standard Koha installation, I suspect yes,<br>
you are going to have to do a lot of work manually merging files, I<br>
strongly recommend if you are going to do local changes, that in future<br>
you do a dev install, which runs out of your git checkout and track your<br=

changes that way. It will make your life a million times easier when you<br=

want to upgrade to 3.2.0<br>
Chris<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0Regards,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Chris Cormack &lt;<a href=3D"ma=
ilto:chrisc at catalyst.net.nz">chrisc at catalyst.net.nz</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0* Susan Mustafa (<a href=3D"mailto:susan.mustafa at gmail.com"=
>susan.mustafa at gmail.com</a>) wrote:<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0&gt; =A0 =A0Good Day All,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0Hi Susan<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0&gt; =A0 =A0I would like to know how I can start the upgrad=
e process from Koha<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A03.00.00<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0&gt; =A0 =A0to Koha 3.0.6 [Kindly keep in mind that our ver=
sion of Koha 3.0.0<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0has a<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0&gt; =A0 =A0lot of in-house changes]<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0How have your changes been made, have they been checked int=
o a local git<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0repository?<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0&gt; =A0 =A0What steps should I follow? Resources to read?<=
br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0Normally you would do an upgrade as outlined in one of the =
INSTALL<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0files, but with local changes, its not as easy as that.<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0&gt; =A0 =A0I know there is the subversion vendor branches =
merge that I can do,<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0but I<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0&gt; =A0 =A0am unsure if that will work and be sufficient.<=
br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0We (the koha project) don&#39;t use subversion, do you mean=
 git?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0&gt; =A0 =A0Kindly awaiting your response,<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0Chris<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0--<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0Chris Cormack<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0Catalyst IT Ltd.<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0+64 4 803 2238<br>
&gt; =A0 =A0 =A0PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington 6142, New Zealand<br>
Catalyst IT Ltd.<br>
+64 4 803 2238<br>