[Koha] Koha and 508 Compliant

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Thu May 28 13:50:02 NZST 2009

Salvete!

I always feel like this when folks ask if their Libraries are ADA
compliant. Like a wheelchair ramp doesn't mean your building compliant,
the fact that Koha is web based doesn't mean it's 508 compliant.
However, I feel Orwellian in stating that some systems are more equal
than others, and as pointed out by another respondant, at least the hood
is open to allow tooling for 508 compliance. Over the years, I have
fielded a number of queries sent by people with limited or no sight
which lets me feel a little better about Koha than I would with another
system.

If you're in the US, have you consulted with a State Talking Books
agency? This would be one of very many stops I would make in trying to
get a feel for the proper steps one would take towards compliance.
(Commission on the Elderly, Deaf Alliances, et cetera being other
stops...)

Cheers,
Brooke