[Koha] Koha Trademarks

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Thu May 21 23:25:24 NZST 2009

MJ Ray a écrit :
>> So I don't think Kohala could own the TM, no.
>>
> Surely it *could* own it, but we might disagree on whether it's a
> better holder than BibLibre or not?

Technically speaking it could, yes, it could.
But it would be much much worst than BibLibre trademark ! (and <paranoid
mode ON> much easier to harm everybody than BibLibre trademark
!<paranoid mode OFF>) So it's definetly BibLibre that is the best holder
atm !

With all due respect, I think we might have fallen into some binary
thinking here. I think there might be two fallacies at play here. 1)
That unless trademarked, the Koha name would be in danger. I think that
this whole trademark situation might have been avoided entirely by
specifically rolling the name and icon in the GPL. 2) That the only good
steward is a corporation. At any point, did anyone consider having a
Library serve as steward? It seems to me that a Library would have a
good interest in ensuring that access to the name were wide and not
anticompetitive. I am very uneasy with a single set of hands, even
Paul's, holding these when they have a direct financial interest in
*not* distributing rights.

Cheers,
Brooke