[Koha] [Koha-devel] Announcing ... New koha.org Website based on Plone

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Sat May 9 10:06:31 NZST 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Eric Bégin <Eric.Begin at inlibro.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> First, I want to raise my hat to LibLime team for the new website.
>

> I also want to thanks Thomas for the time he spent to analyse the new site
> and for bringing those worth to discuss points.
>
> Here is, briefly, my comments.
>
> 1. LOCALISATION
> If we do not make the French (France) link point to koha-fr.org, I
> strongly recommand to remove it until the french version of the site is
> almost completed.

Unfortunately, that link is there strictly to allow changing the language of
the website from English to French, and any other translation that is added
will show up as a link just like the French/English ones. So disabling the
language would remove the possibility of translation, that's just how Plone
works AFAIK.

> 3. DEMONSTRATION
> I'm aware that the demo site are maintained by LL team, however, since this
> is a demo for the community, wouldn't be faire to remove any reference to LL
> in the demo site?
> This includes the username/password, logo and name.  As Thomas mentionned,
> it would also be nice if the URLs were using the same approach as the
> koha-fr site, I means something at koha.org
> By the way, I just tried the demo site and here what I noted:
> - can not log on the intranet using liblime/liblime at the moment (both
> public and academic)

The liblime user was deleted by someone who logged into the academic demo as
the liblime user ... These demos refresh on a daily basis so the problem
would have resolved itself by morning, but in any event, its fixed now. The
public demo appears to be working fine.

> - there is a 404 when we click Catalogue in the public demo

Yep, that's a broken link, but its otherwise fine.

BTW: nothing has changed with this Plone site with respect to how we
demonstrate Koha ... LibLime has been faithfully providing stable, public,
free, demos for the community for years. So that's nothing new and I'm not
sure how it relates to the website update.

> 3.2 PAY FOR SUPPORT
>
> Support companies are listed by the date they joined the Koha community.
>
> I really don't want to remove any credits to LibLime or BibLibre.  You guys
> are doing awesome job.  However, I'm a bit confused about the contribution
> part.
>
> As far as I can tell, a contribution should be something that the company
> as paid or provide the ressource to do something.  Features developped for
> and paid by a client shouldn't be considered as a contribution.
>

> Has contributed over 55% of the entire Koha codebase, including the
> integration of Koha and Zebra
> Has contributed over 35% of the entire Koha codebase
> Was the developpment payed by a client?  If so, the client should be
> credited for the integrations/development, not LibLime... does it make
> sense?

Well, I can't speak for BibLibre, but LibLime does not get paid by clients
to contribute back to the Koha community. We don't get paid to maintain
those contributions. We don't get paid by clients to write and maintain the
free documentation we've maintained for the community, and we don't get paid
by clients to hold time-consuming official Koha positions such as Release
Manager, Translation Manager and Documentation Manager. LibLime pays those
expenses ourselves at considerable cost to us.

Many of the Koha vendors listed on the support page do not contribute 100%
of the code they write for customers to the community, and we've learned
over the past fwew years that in some cases this is due to them not being
paid for that effort, and in other cases, its a deliberate attempt to
proprietize components of the services they offer.

LibLime has, from our inception in 2005, contributed back 100% of the code
we've created because we believe in the community process and we strive to
set an example for other support organizations.

Listing notable contributions by vendors on the support page where
applicable is additional incentive for vendors to get more actively involved
in contribution. Its important that libraries selecting support options know
the roles that their support provider is playing in the community.

> In March 2007, LibLime acquired the Koha division of Katipo Communications,
> Ltd., the original developers of Koha 1.0.
> Not really a contribution...  This is marketing stuff and shoud stay on
> LibLime website.

That is not meant to be a marketing statement, but rather an explanation of
LibLime's listing having been grandfathered from Katipo's Koha Division,
which could be confusing to first-time visitors.

> the koha-manage group decided to...
>
> What are the factor making for someone to be in the Koha-manage group?
> There is no mention of such a group on koha.org.
>
> My main point here is that the Koha.org website should be as
> vendor-independant as possible.  I really think that the Alphabetical order
> is the best way to reach that goal.

I respectfully disagree. Listing by date joined is the most
vendor-independent and community-focused. Another fair option would be to
list in order of contributions, most to least. This community is, after all,
a meritocracy :).

> Here some broken links that I found on the new (now current) web site.
>
> www.koha.org (with www) bring a Zope Quick Start Page...
> In the footer: LibLime Link
> one page... It takes a long time to load and after a while, it request to
> log on our Google Account...

Very helpful, thanks we'll try to locate and fix these asap.

Cheers,
Josh

CEO                         migration, training, maintenance, support