[Koha] Article "Why you can't find a library book in your search engine"

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Mon Jan 26 17:14:24 NZDT 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Owen Leonard <oleonard at myacpl.org> wrote:
> I remember a time at our library when our (2.x) Koha server was
> getting hit by Google so much that we had to block access. It was
> necessary at the time so that we could continue to do business at a
> reasonable pace, but  I wonder if Koha 3 is better equipped to handle
> that kind of abuse?

Google's been crawling many Koha catalogs hosted by LibLime with no
apparent ill effect.  Try a Google search on 'site:kohalibrary.com
feline' for an example.

> "The National Library of Sweden has put its entire catalogue on the
> web as linked data, the first effort by a national library to become
> part of the semantic web."
>
> I guess I don't keep up well enough with the issue to understand the
> technical meaning of "linked data." What would Koha have to do to fit
> the definition?

It would have to provide RDF representations of bibiographic,
holdings, and authority heading data in RDF format as part of the
OPAC.  Since these RDF representations could be supplied in parallel
with the human-readable OPAC pages, it would be possible to bolt it on
in a quick-and-dirty way by running the MARC bib data through existing
RDF conversion utilities and doing some munging of authority heading
links.

Regards,

Galen
--