[Koha] Koha and UTF-8 (again)

"Thommy M. Malmström" thommy.m.malmstrom at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 00:58:58 NZDT 2009

Thommy M. Malmström wrote:
> paul POULAIN wrote:
>> Thommy M. Malmström a écrit :
>>> Once again I took the fight with Koha to try to make it work with non
>>> ASCII characters. I've set the the following variables for MySQL, Apache
>>> and PHP:
>>>
>>> http://thommym.blogspot.com/2009/01/koha-and-utf-8.html
>>>
>> hey, it's it koha 2.2.x !!!
>>
>> there were a lot of problem with diacritics handling in 2.2.x It worked
>> quite correctly with latin1 and Unimarc, but not with utf-8 or marc21
>>
>> You must upgrade to 3.0 !
>
> I can't upgrade as my users are just fine with 2.2.9. It's just to big a
> step to change it...
>
> So what you say is that I should go for latin1 at all config parameters?
> My z3950 server is MARC21 so I suppose I've to stay with that...
>
> I'll give it a try...

Here's the changes I did and it seems to work. THANKS, BIG THANKS to you
Paul. You really saved my day. Send me your address and I'll send you
some flowers.

vim /etc/apache2/apache2.conf
-----------------------------
#AddCharset UTF-8 .utf8
#AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1
AddCharset ISO-8859-1  .iso8859-1  .latin1

vim /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
----------------------------
#default_charset = "UTF-8"
default_charset = "ISO-8859-1"