[Koha] Batch imports of MARC records for e-books and 099 fields for regular books

Stacy Pober stacy.pober at manhattan.edu
Tue Dec 15 11:47:21 NZDT 2009

Hi,

> Check the difference between
> http://man.waldo.kohalibrary.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=200959
> and
> http://man.waldo.kohalibrary.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=211657

Yes, the first one was migrated from our Voyager records, the second
one was imported by me after some tweaking in MarcEdit.

There are four 952 subfields in the migrated record that are not in
the one I uploaded. Here they are with their contents:

$2 z
$a MAN
$b MAN
$r 2008-05-10

subfields $a and $b are branchcodes, according to the documentation
(and the contents look appropriate for that, though I think only one
'branch' is defined now.

According to the official Koha version's manual,
<http://koha.org/documentation/manual/3.0/cataloging/item-fields-data-migration>
Data Migration – Koha Item Fields:

"Source of classification or shelving scheme
Koha tag: 952$2

"Classification scheme that defines filing rules used for sorting call
numbers. If no classification scheme is entered, the system will use
the value entered in the Cataloging preference
"DefaultClassificationSource"

"Date last seen *
Koha tag: 952$r

"The last date that the item was last seen in the library (checked in
/ checked out / inventoried)."

I can put in a test record with those fields and see if that makes a
difference, but I would be surprised if it changed anything.  I did
test by adding a $t (copy number) subfield of:
$t 1
but that didn't change the empty parentheses issue.

I am wondering if the contents of the parenthesis for number of copies
is a value derived from another field entirely.

I did find another library that had their e-books correctly indicating
1 or 2 copies and that's where I got the idea of using a 952$t.
However, there are other differences throughout their records, and I
don't know if the 952  is the specific subfield that is making the
difference in their records..

Is there some documentation available for official Koha that shows
where each data element is pulled from the MARC record for each
element of the public catalog  (i.e. not  staff view) display?

In case the above question isn't clear, I'm looking  for which
field/subfield is used to derive each element of the OPAC view of the
record, particularly where the summary is given of the records (i.e.
in the initial display of search results when multiple items are
displayed.)

One thing I've noticed in our catalog is that some of the fields that
display in the MARC view do not display in the Expanded MARC view.

In the MARC view, I can see the 942 (if present) and 952 fields.  In
the Expanded MARC view, I cannot.  I tend to assume that kind of
discrepancy is a bug, but I thought I should mention it here first in
case it is a feature.

Expanded MARC view:
<http://man.waldo.kohalibrary.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-MARCdetail.pl?biblionumber=200959>

[Click on "MARC view" tag for plain text MARC display - I don't think
I can provide a direct link to the plain text MARC version. ]

Stacy

--
Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist