[Koha] Supporting the Open Source Concept

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Sat Aug 8 12:57:43 NZST 2009

Salvete!

Real quick shallow comment - unless Follett has done oodles of
development while I wasn't looking, it's not nearly as good a product as
Koha. I've no qualms about saying that we've ground to make up in terms
of quality if we want to spar with the larger academic systems, but
Follett is just not there. They're worse than Dynix, imho.

>--------
>This is different than competition- competition is healthy!
>
>The philosophy of opensource software development, by all accounts, is
one
>of cooperation and growth. Maturity and communication. Utility and
function.
>Financial gains are not really addressed- yet we all recognize the need
>feed our own families, and of course our vendors and their employees
share
>that need.
>
>As I said earlier, our decision to hire a vendor was simple and clear.
It is
>up to the vendor to figure out how to deliver the goods, within the
terms of
>both our contract and the opensource license we all share, and we as
>customers simply accept that.

This list is surprising for its diversity. I wonder if there are any out
there in an environment similar to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
That school has a successful business incubator, and that sort of model
might bear fruit if we wanted to address both competition and
sustainability. If we had a foundation, the proceeds might be able to
foster new businesses that supported Koha according to Open Source
principles. In addition, it could sure up old ones that might be in dire
straits. A third function could be funding non sexy but highly necessary
jobs such as revamping and optimising old code.

Cheers,
Brooke