[Koha] Koha 3.0 Web installer problem

Krishnan Mani krishnanm75 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 20 16:26:57 NZST 2008

Hi Shriram,

Hope Andy's tip helped solve your problem.
Usually, the permanent fix for hostname resolution is to edit your /etc/hosts file:

A sample hosts file will look like this (spaces exaggerated here):
127.0.0.1     localhost.localdomain   localhost  servername
<network-ip-address>     servername.domainname    servername

Then do a "/sbin/hostname -f /etc/hosts" to pick up your hostname. Also, add the ServerName directive into your httpd.conf file and re-start Apache. i am using Apache 2.2.9 on Fedora 9, so things may be slightly different for you.

i encountered similar issues, and i had to work through more things before i had Koha running. So some of the following may help...

The "it works!" page is the default.html or index.html page that ships with Apache and lets you know that at least Apache is running with the basic configuration.

Do you have your own server or are you running on a shared server?
Did you re-configure Apache, or are you using .htaccess files?
Is cgi-bin enabled and working properly?

If you look at the koha-httpd.conf file that is generated, you will see that there are ScriptAlias directives like:
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/koha/ "/usr/share/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/"
ScriptAlias /index.html "/usr/share/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/mainpage.pl"

You can try invoking the mainpage.pl directly by using
http://<servername>:<port>/cgi-bin/koha/mainpage.pl

As you do this, you might want to open a new terminal and do a "tail -f" on the koha-error_log to see any errors as they scroll by. On the standard install, the file is usually at /var/log/koha

On the couple of installs i did, i had to fix problems with missing modules (that were not reported during install) before i had everything up.

Feel free to ask for more help.

Thanks and regards,

krishnan mani

Pune, India