[Koha] 942c field and Item Types

Kate Blair Elliott kate.bookgirl at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 02:37:07 NZDT 2008

I think something similar to this question has been posed before but we are
having a tough time figuring out the details.

I know that the 942c field is for Koha Item Type, but there is also a place
in the "Add item" section, field "y" to enter the item type.

We are using the z39.50 server to scan in all of our 15,000 records and
enter them into the catalog in about a week so we are trying to create
a training document for the large number of volunteers who are helping us.

We would PREFER not to have to tell them to go to the "9" tab and then
select the item type under 942c.  They are already choosing a few things in
the "Add Item" section so that is where we originally had them picking the
item type.

  But it seems like if you select it in the "y" field on the add item page
it
does not automatically change that field  (942c) on the record (and vice
versa).

Is there a way to either "turn off" the 942c field (because right now if you
don't select it, it defaults all our books to the first item type on the
list "Audio Book")

or a way to map what we enter in the "y" field to the 942c field.

We just want a quick, one step, way to pick item type (preferably without
having to have volunteers muddle around in the MARC records) that will make
it work so that it functions correctly for searches as well as any
circulation issues.

Hope this is clear and thanks,
Kate Elliott
Hopewell Public Library,