[Koha] sound cues

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Fri Nov 14 03:38:41 NZDT 2008

> here is the catch, i suspect even a wav file needs a plug-in to play
> correctly

This is the case in my tests on Windows.

>> There would only need to be one file, as far as I can tell, since
>> on a real error we can use a javascript alert and get the usual ding.

It would indeed be useful to evaluate whether there are interactions
where we should be blocking continued activity until the user has
acknowledged an error. For instance: if a hold message comes up during
check-in, should a javascript alert be triggered so that the user
doesn't continue scanning books?

> swf file, used shockwave plugin
> wav file, uses qt plugin  ( or other eg: WMP)
> ogg file  uses qt + XiphQT plugin ( or the great FOSS win/linux/osx
> VLC player too)
>
> most browsers do play wav files by default (with plugins enabled).
> so wav might indeed be the best choice for cross-browser compatibility

I don't think we can say both "by default" and "with plugins enabled."
My tests indicated that even with plugins, generally speaking,
enabled, wav files did not play.

Flash is probably the single most commonly-installed and enabled
plugin available (it's included with Firefox and Internet Explorer,
isn't it?). I realize that it's not FOSS-friendly, but if we want Koha
to be *user*-friendly I think Flash is the way to go.

> ogg + VLC is the best choice for FOSS correctness, and some wiki doco
> explaining how to install and config VLC for your browser

I'd hate to go with a solution so convoluted considering the common
use of Flash. It's not like we're adding an animated splash screen.
It's just a beep.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer