[Koha] sound cues

Mason James mason.loves.sushi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 13:25:49 NZDT 2008

On 2008/11/13, at 9:18 AM, Joe Atzberger wrote:

> I don't think I follow you at all, Mason.  The page you link
> doesn't include any <embed> functionality so it doesn't demonstrate
> browser compatibility for our purposes.  You would have to test it
> inside <embed> on systems that do not have any extra codecs or
> players installed, and certainly without any browser plug-ins.
>
> --Joe

correct, i was just showing that my 3 standard browsers all play the
demo ogg files without a problem

but. having a further look...
my 3 browsers are playing the ogg files because i had previously
installed the XiphQT plug-in for quicktime

so, my browsers are standard, but my quicktime is patched for oggs.

oops, bad example

> I suspect a (small!) .wav file will be the most reliable way to go.

i agree here

> Obviously a wav won't be smaller than a corresponding compressed
> file, but we don't want to require or wait for a 3rd-party browser-
> embedded player to load.

here is the catch, i suspect even a wav file needs a plug-in to play
correctly

playing an audio file with plugins disabled cant be done, i think :(

> There would only need to be one file, as far as I can tell, since
> on a real error we can use a javascript alert and get the usual ding.

so, we have 3 options...

swf file, used shockwave plugin
wav file, uses qt plugin  ( or other eg: WMP)
ogg file  uses qt + XiphQT plugin ( or the great FOSS win/linux/osx
VLC player too)

or a standard jscript generated beep?

most browsers do play wav files by default (with plugins enabled).
so wav might indeed be the best choice for cross-browser compatibility

ogg + VLC is the best choice for FOSS correctness, and some wiki doco
explaining how to install and config VLC for your browser

perhaps we go with the quick and dirty .wav fix for now, and add the
ogg/swf format support in later, as sysprefs in koha-3.2 ?

Mason.