[Koha] reinstalling, but keep records

Ricardo Dias Marques lists at ricmarques.net
Fri May 30 23:27:51 NZST 2008

Hi Ramon,

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Ramon Andinach <custard at westnet.com.au> wrote:

> Is it possible to reset the preferences?

I'm assuming you mean the "System Preferences" available at:

http://hostname:8080/cgi-bin/koha/admin/systempreferences.pl

If you do mean that...  that's a good question! Unfortunately, I don't
know a way of doing it.

> Or alternately, can koha be reinstalled in such a way that the records
> are not lost?

Do you mean between several Koha 3 versions (e.g. betwen "alpha" and
"beta 2"? Yes, I have done that a few times.

I suggest that you start by doing a mysqldump of your koha database to
a file (just in case). Assuming you are using Linux and that your
database is named "koha" you would enter the following command in the
Linux shell:

____________________

# mysqldump --databases koha -p > koha_dump.sql

__________

After doing that, I suggest that you also copy your current
koha-httpd.conf that is loaded by Apache. In my case, I have created a
symbolic link in /etc/apache2/conf.d that points to
/etc/koha/koha-httpd.conf . So, to create a copy of the file, I could
go to the /etc/koha directory and copy the file:
____________________

# cd /etc/koha

:/etc/koha # cp koha-httpd.conf koha-httpd.conf.ORIG
____________________

After doing this, you may:

1 - Run "perl Makefile.PL", "make", "make test" and "make install" of
the newer Koha version that you have.

2 - Copy your backup of the koha-httpd.conf file with the
koha-httpd.conf that the installation (might have) "crushed".

3 - Restart Apache

4 - Go to the OPAC page. It's possible that there's a new Koha
"database version" now. In this case, you will get a message that the
system is under maintenance. You'll have to go to Koha's Intranet home
page (usually running in port 8080), login as koha administrator and
you will probably be prompted to run a step of the "Web Installer" to
update the Koha database to the new(est) version.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Ricardo Dias Marques
lists AT ricmarques DOT net