[Koha] Disk space requirement for Web Server

Christopher Brown-Syed cbrownsyed at cogeco.ca
Wed Feb 20 05:51:46 NZDT 2008

Jesse wrote:

>the MySQL database is
>184 MiB for our catalog of roughly 13,000 books and 2,000 patrons.

Back in the pre-history of library automation (the 1980s), when space
was tight and disks expensive, we used to estimate the size of a
bibliographic database at 768 bytes per MARC record. I suspect that
rounding up to 1 MB/ bib record is probably still a good guess.

That's for the generic "title level" description, not including
information about all the copies of a title. Don't forget to allow for
annual growth, and extra room for abstracts or lengthy notes (e.g. for
archival items or rare books), and for local holdings information,
especially if you record journal issues.

Chris Brown-Syed