[Koha] Community Feedback

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Sat Dec 20 00:43:28 NZDT 2008

Joshua Ferraro a écrit :
>> Learning koha internals + librarian terms + zebra + ... is not a small
>> thing !
>>
> Very interesting analysis Paul. I wonder if it's possible to calculate
> the approx. number of lines of code contributed by people not
> obtaining a salary from either a library or a support organization
> supporting Koha. They'd be the true base of 'volunteers', since
> everyone else would represent people who were getting paid one way or
> another to work on the project, right? Probably a hard figure to come
> up with, but I suspect it'd be pretty low relative to the lines of
> code contributed by either librarian workers and support companies.

I think it's impossible, and it would not be meaningfull anyway.

Let me explain what I did between 2002 and 2007 : I (with hdl since
2004) have invested all my non-paid time into Koha. In fact, during
those years, we just had enough incomes for 2, didn't search more money,
didn't wanted to grow. I think I could say that half of our time was
dedicated to hacking Koha without "obtaining a salary from either a
library or a support organization".
That's almost impossible for me to separate what was sponsored by a
library from what was "self-sponsored" / "self-involvement".
In fact, for 5 years, I did not charge what I should have, but what I
needed.

Now that we have founded BibLibre (we are 8), we try to continue this
way. We will publish on http://www.biblibre.com/blog, in the next days,
a counter of all those actions. That represent something like 15%-2°% or
our time.

Cheers

--
Paul POULAIN