[Koha] GST and discount not calculating correctly when placing an order in 3.0 acquisitions.

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Thu Dec 18 01:54:56 NZDT 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 6:43 AM, Chris Cormack <chris at bigballofwax.co.nz> wrote:
> [...]
>>> back.
>>>
>>> Lets call it a day and move on eh?
>> If we avoid confrontation and airing these issues publicly, how will
>> we avoid them moving forward?
>>
>> I'd hate to see the same cycle repeating every few versions as it has
>> done for the past 9 years, where HLT and similar customers run local
>> versions of code, thinking that they're running publicly available
>> versions and that others have broken the stuff they contributed, and
>> then complaining about it and pointing the finger at the last RM
>> (which in this case happens to be me).
>>
>> A better model is to contribute stuff in such a way that everyone can
>> use it, not to silo stuff behind custom templates so that it only
>> works if you're running non-contributed templates, and to constantly
>> keep in sync with the community's latest version releases. Anyway,
>> I've said it better in the other acq thread.
>>
> Ok since this thread won't die.
> HLT ran koha 1.0 ... which had acquisitions working in a way they
> liked. There were no custom templates,. there were no templates
> period. There was no web based circulation, there was CDK based
> circulation. Their next upgrade was to 1.2.4. This had the web based
> circulation, the beginnings of MARC import, and acquisitions that
> still worked towards in a way they want.
> They held off upgrading to 2.0 and their next upgrade was to 2.2.9,
> which no longer had working acquisitions.
>
> In June of 2006 we endeavoured to commit all the fixes we made to make
> acquisitions work again for them. Notably these commits here
>
> http://git.workbuffer.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=koha.git;a=commitdiff;h=2ee33de5ef8ffe66a1871d06a22eace33b455bba
> http://git.workbuffer.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=koha.git;a=commitdiff;h=ad249c82d8743878846ca004c447a073bddb7075
> http://git.workbuffer.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=koha.git;a=commitdiff;h=48b5cebb0bddebb11a43b2999d2a3cee7ff6e395
> http://git.workbuffer.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=koha.git;a=commitdiff;h=16954a80eb499e3b34783253d403ebf0ed794f9e
> http://git.workbuffer.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=koha.git;a=commitdiff;h=4e8e426629c12a49b460439432f97230b1d1e7f5
> http://git.workbuffer.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=koha.git;a=commitdiff;h=0dd1e735fe8b31fc4ab8834ed952344af916e503
> http://git.workbuffer.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=koha.git;a=commitdiff;h=91a1e19c6cdee3cdb406ada0fb5bd02ffe2f7dec
>
> Then in July
> http://git.workbuffer.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=koha.git;a=commitdiff;h=567c744d07d4de2700d64b14a82e93496d19c19d
> http://git.workbuffer.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=koha.git;a=commitdiff;h=b9b3ee16e1f217aefbd46d2ce3605edc11384fe7
> http://git.workbuffer.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=koha.git;a=commitdiff;h=3aad0103857860200fec4301689796ad612a6355
> http://git.workbuffer.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=koha.git;a=commitdiff;h=c2822e30ed5e53a618bb5dfa75f4937c5ef95102
>
> At that point all the changes we had made for 2.2.9 to work the way it
> is now for them still, should have been committed.
OK, easy enough to say that, but the fact is, if you look more
closely, you'll see that in fact, it's not the case that Acquisitions
was working at this point in 2.2.9 without either custom code on HLT's
server, or custom templates that weren't in fact committed.

This is easily proven, just do a recursive diff on HLT's server
against the 2.2.9 snapshot, or if you like, against any point in time
you like of the git history you've pasted above.

The indirect proof that the community has is that HLT says their
Acquisitions works, whereas I know that 2.2.9 acquisitions doesn't
work and never has. Is anyone seriously questioning the broken state
of Acquisitions in 2.2.9?

> I have never pointed the finger at you Joshua, nor have I said that
> the reason acquisitions arent working the way HLT expect in 3.0 is due
> to your work as RM.
And I didn't say you did specifically, but there are hits being
dropped all the time about 'this is how it used to work' and 'someone
has changed it'. The fact is, it DID NOT work that way, and we DID NOT
change it, we tried to fix it.

> Id appreciate if you would step back and stop HLT (the reason Koha
> exists) feel like they have done something wrong.
Again, that's not my intention. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's
feelings, I'm trying to air an issue that I hope we can avoid in the
future. I'm sure HLT are confused as to why the community perceives
that their Acquisition system doesn't work as advertised, and why
2.2.9 and 3.0 don't have features that they 'contributed'. The reason
is that they WERE NOT EVER FULLY CONTRIBUTED in a way that the rest of
the community could use them, and we've never seen them in a working
state.

My goal here is not to point fingers, lay blame, or piss people off.
I'd honestly like to make sure we all agree and understand the
complexity of community participation, avoid the pitfalls of
localized, un-contributed code and templates, and move forward in a
way that everyone in the community can collaborate on features and
functionality in a productive way, that doesn't require hopscotch
between versions, which as I've said in another thread is both
frustrating and expensive for the users.

We have to all take a step back here and be honest about why things
are the way they are. There are tensions between the segments of this
community and digging our heads in the sand isn't going to help us
resolve them and move forward as a community. I for one would like to
see future versions of Koha work 'out of the box' for HLT, NPL, San-OP
and all of the other major contributors to the codebase, so that they
could upgrade seamlessly (quarterly perhaps) without any fear of
losing or changing functionality. But we'll never get there unless the
features that HLT uses are contributed to the community in full, as
completely-functional features, both code and templates, and any
bugfixes applied post-release are also applied to the community, not
just to HLT.

Joann, I'm sorry HLT has to be the 'example' here, there are plenty of
other Koha libraries that have fallen into the same trap, and I
sincerely hope we can all work together to make sure that the needs of
everyone in this community are met by future releases.

Cheers,

CEO                         migration, training, maintenance, support