[Koha] report generation-Till Reconciliation for each branchlibraries

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Thu Dec 11 10:48:50 NZDT 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 4:38 PM, Cab Vinton <bibliwho at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if there's a current official "head count" for Koha
> libraries, but according to librarytechnology.org, the number is just
> shy of 500, including 399 LibLime libraries (surely not!)
I guess it depends on how you run the query, the way I did it I get
572 total, of which, 399 are LibLime customers. the 399 number is
accurate in the sense that all of our customers that have publicly
selected LibLime or gone live on Koha are in Marshall's database. We
make a diligent effort to keep his database up to date, but I know for
certain that many many Koha libraries 'in the wild' aren't represented
there. So hint hint, if you're a Koha library, and you haven't
registered in libwebcats, please do so:
http://librarytechnology.org/libwebcats/

> In the past, I've suggested privately to LibLime that they take a page
> from several models that already exist for facilitating cooperative
> sponsorship of projects.
>
> Why not use http://www.fundable.com, http://www.dropcash.com, or
> http://www.chipin.com? Or develop a comparable utility in-house?
>
> Given the number of Koha libraries out there, wouldn't such an
> approach have the potential to accelerate the evolution of the
> software? With a transparent price tag for any particular enhancement,
> it would soon become very clear which projects are most highly desired
> as they would be funded the quickest.
In general I like this idea, and LibLime has implemented a small-scale
experiment we call the LibLime Development Exchange that attempts to
provide this kind of transparency to our customers.

However, one problem with doing this as the Koha project, is that
price tags for enhancements aren't generally considered transparent by
the companies providing support on Koha. I think most of the Koha
companies (correct me if I'm wrong folks) would consider unfinished
specifications and quotes for those specifications to be private. If
you don't understand why that tends to be the case, you likely haven't
ever managed a services company :-).

Another problem, and we've seen this happen on the LibLime Development
Exchange, is that there is really very little overlap between what one
library wants and another library wants. It's really surprising, but
unfortunately true. So there is less opportunity for co-sponsorship
than you might think.

Cheers,

CEO                         migration, training, maintenance, support