[Koha] Patron attribute types

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Tue Dec 9 00:01:16 NZDT 2008

Joann Ransom wrote:

> probably a dumb question ...(sigh)

there are no dumb questions ... :)

> I am working through the system preferences and parameters for a  lovely
> new Koha 3.0 test site.  We are running  3.00.00.107.
>
> Is it important to enter / specify any attribute types in the "Patron
> Attribute Types" are under Patrons and Circlation"?.

Koha 3 runs fine without any patron attributes being added.
Add them if you want to store additional information with
your patron data. We can't think of everything!

> If I should enter any / some, what ones would people suggest and why?

Perhaps your patrons are school kids. You could store their home
room, grade level, that sort of thing, as extra attributes.

As well, if there are authorised values that you wish to link to
patrons, you can do this very easily by defining a patron attribute
that Koha will link to the a.v.

In general, if you have patron categorisation and data gathering
requirements beyond what is already stored in the borrowers table,
patron attributes are there to fill this need.

cheers
rickw