[Koha] Questions - again

Jesse Weaver jesse.weaver at liblime.com
Sat Dec 6 05:10:03 NZDT 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 4:27 AM, <reapsmoor at gmail.com> wrote:

> Obviously accidentally pressing send before completing the email is
> something I'm also going to have to learn about - apologies!
>
> Questions:
>
> When cataloguing, if I want to enter an author (using z3950) whose name has
> a foreign character, for example, an umlaut, the page freezes and I lose the
> entry.  How do I avoid this - what am I doing wrong?  How do I edit the
> author field anyway?

This sounds like it might be a browser or Koha problem. Can you check your
Koha error log to see if any errors are reported, and tell us what browser
you're using on what OS?

> By far the majority of my cataloguing is original, records aren't in other
> libraries elsewhere.  Is there a quick and easy way of doing this?  It all
> seems so long winded at the moment, it's enough to make me wish for
> old-style catalogue cards, at least I could quickly and easily enter data
> onto those!!!  (No not really!)  Is anyone else doing manual cataloguing and
> would like to share thoughts and best practice?

I am currently working on a textual, syntax highlighted MARC editor (similar
to a lightweight, in-Koha version of biblios.net's MARC editor) as a
possible faster option alongside our current system of several hundred text
fields.

> What's the best way to enter journal runs?  I don't want to check them in,
> I'm talking about a run of journals that are no longer published, entering
> them as one item but showing which issues we have, and any indexes etc.

That depends on whether you wish to use Koha's serials module; it's a
tradeoff between complexity setting up each journal or spending more time
manually entering in each issue. Probably depends on the size of your
library.

> .....there will be more!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Jan