[Koha] user support?

Kathy Rippel kdr at ckls.org
Fri Dec 5 05:27:46 NZDT 2008

I agree that there is a definite divide in the type of people that
subscribe to this list. Many are the actual programmers and tech
people that are into the actual "innards" of programming and tweaking Koha.

The rest of us are librarians and staff that could be defined as
"users". We have a wide array of computer skills with using the
program, practically, but not the underlying structures. How do you
best run an overdue list, what field is appropriate for the ISBN,
where do you put volume numbers so they display, etc. are the type of
questions we encounter.

There is an overlap, of course. Some folks are in one-person
situations. We all have common interests in the capabilities of Koha
and future development.

So, yes, I agree that maybe we need two lists, but I would miss SOME
of the interplay between the two camps!

Kathy

At 09:02 AM 12/4/2008, Kohn, Karen wrote:

>Hello,
>My library is preparing to migrate to Koha, and I'm trying to make
>sure we have enough support in place for the librarians and staff
>who will have to develop new procedures and workflows.  I've been
>reading this mailing list in web forum from time to time, and it
>seems to be mainly for administrators.  I was wondering
>
>a)      Can I request that a new list be started? And
>b)      Are there people on here who would be interested in this list?
>
>I'm thinking it would be for technical services library workers who
>could share how they accomplish certain goals, or could ask if
>they're having trouble figuring out how to do something.  (I know
>that's vague.  Specifically, right now, our Serials Librarian is
>curious about how the predictions work in Koha.)  Of course, if
>there is an existing resource you can recommend, that would be great.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Karen Kohn
>Collection Development Manager
>Landman Library