[Koha] koha 2.2.9: not available from inernet on its port

H. S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 14:26:19 NZST 2007

My apologies for replying to Joe only in my last email. I am not familiar
with gmail. I had wanted to reply to the list. I usually use Gmane, but it
seems like koha's group over there is very sluggish. In any case, the
solution is in my reply below.

On 9/10/07, Joe Atzberger <ohiocore at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Apache "Redirect" command is used to generate an error message to the
> browser, in this case type 301 (permanent redirect).  Unlike "Alias" and
> other commands, the address supplied as an argument to "Redirect" should be
> a full URL-path valid from the point of view of the client browser, which
> means it should resolve via DNS.
>
> So you probably want something like
>
> Redirect permanent index.html
> http://audioserver.mydomain.com:8001/cgi-bin/koha/mainpage.pl<http://audioserver:8001/cgi-bin/koha/mainpage.pl>
>
> The reason you can access from inside your own LAN is because your local
> DNS requests happen to append your domain automatically.  Of course browsers
> in the outside world don't have that critical piece of info.
>
> --joe atzberger
>
> On 9/10/07, H. S. <hs.samix at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I installed Koha 2.2.9 on a machine running Ubuntu (I am going to show
> > it to a small community library to convince them to use this application).
> > All seems to have gone well, however the virtual web server part is giving
> > some problems.
> >
> > The machine in questions is already running a web server on port 80. So
> > I configured Koha to listen on ports 8000 and 8001. Here is the conf file I
> > am currently using:
> > # Koha 2.2 Apache Virtual Host Config File
> > #
> > # Please include this file in your apache configuration.
> > # The best way to do that depends on your site setup.
> > # Some like an Include adding to /etc/apache/httpd.conf
> > # and some prefer a symlink to this file from some dir.
> > # Please refer to your system manuals.
> >
> > # Ports to listen to for Koha
> > # uncomment these if they aren't already in main httpd.conf
> > Listen 8000
> > Listen 8001
> >
> > # NameVirtualHost is used by one of the optional configurations detailed
> > below
> > # Please make sure this line is correct before uncommenting.
> > # See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/ for some guides.
> >
> > #NameVirtualHost 11.22.33.44
> >
> > # KOHA's OPAC Configuration
> > <VirtualHost audioserver:8000>
> >    ServerAdmin sahambi at yahoo.com
> >    DocumentRoot /usr/local/koha/opac/htdocs
> >    ServerName audioserver
> >    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/koha/ /usr/local/koha/opac/cgi-bin/
> >    Redirect permanent index.html
> > http://audioserver:8000/cgi-bin/koha/opac-main.pl
> >    ErrorLog /usr/local/koha/log/opac-error_log
> >    TransferLog /usr/local/koha/log/opac-access_log
> >    SetEnv PERL5LIB "/usr/local/koha/intranet/modules"
> >    SetEnv KOHA_CONF "/etc/koha.conf"
> >
> > </VirtualHost>
> > # KOHA's INTRANET Configuration
> > <VirtualHost audioserver:8001>
> >    ServerAdmin sahambi at yahoo.com
> >    DocumentRoot /usr/local/koha/intranet/htdocs
> >    ServerName audioserver
> >    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/koha/ "/usr/local/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/"
> >    Redirect permanent index.html
> [...]

Here are two changes that worked in the stanza I mentioned above:

1.
<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10:8000>  <--- I put the IP address here

2.
Redirect permanent index.html
http://mydomain.com:8000/cgi-bin/koha/opac-main.pl   <--- put the domain
name here.

Similarly for the intranet stanza.

Then I was able to browse koha from the internet and also login as admin.
Now I need to play with it a bit :)

thanks,
->HS