[Koha] Breeding Resevoir/Migration Puzzle

Bo Schafers bo at weavebrain.com.au
Thu May 24 20:22:37 NZST 2007

Hi again!

The way I currently understand the data migration process in Koha is thus:

- Create a compatible Marc21 file with the entries mapped to the MARC
structure defined in Koha. This would- in our case- involve taking CSV
data based data pulled out of Postgres and using a program called
MarcEdit (found on the Net) to create one large Marc21 file.

- This file can then be imported using bulkimport.pl on the server's
command line or the 'Marc Aquisiton System' available in the Intranet.
The data, when imported, is stored in the so-called 'resevoir'.

- One then does a 'search exisisting records' by title or ISBN and can
then click on 'add biblio' to import the item into Koha proper.

This is how one proceeds with 1000's of records of a typical library?
There seems to be no way one can actually browse the Breeding Resevoir
/non biblio items to keep track of what's in there there, other than
going into the database table directly via phpmyadmin? Have I understood
this correctly? Just trying to get my head around the process. Sorry if
it's in the documentation somewhere, but I have tried to read most of
what's available on kohadocs.org and the above describes how I have
interpreted the process, based on my situation. Do I have it all
straight, before I proceed? Or have I misunderstood something?

Any comments, hints,pointers MOST welcome!

Bo