[Koha] Apache on Debian downloading .pl files.

Matt tmat256 at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 01:36:59 NZST 2007

Hello,

This is my first post to this mailing list so bare
with me if I'm breaking some protocol.

I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me.  I
just did a bunch of updates to my Debian server and it
seems to have broken Koha.  I spent all day yesterday
trying to figure this out and I seem to be stuck.

Whatever page you try to visit on any computer here it
tries to download the .pl file instead of executing it
on the server end.  Started by looking through logs
and it didn't show anything suspicious.  Thought maybe
it was AddHandler in the apache.conf file so I changed
it from:

AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
to:
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl

Did nothing different.

If I rename the mainpage.pl file to mainpage.cgi and
point directly to it in my browser it loads perfectly
fine.  I can even log in but of course once I try to
click a link in the menu I get the browser trying to
download that file.  There is no way I am going
through the whole source to rename everything from .pl
to .cgi.

A friend of mine suggested I try to get the the page
through telnet:

telnet localhost 8080
>GET /cgi-bin/koha/mainpage.pl HTTP/1.1
>Host: mymachinename.mydomain
>
>HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 12:58:21 GMT
>Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) PHP/4.4.4-8+etch2
>Transfer-Encoding: chunked
>
>2f2
charset=iso-8859-1">

followed by the rest of the content of the page in
html form.  BTW I can load the site up perfectly fine
in 'links2' in the command line.  This is the point
that I remind everyone that through the browser
(Updated Firefox on Ubuntu, Firefox on Windows, IE on
Windows) I get the perl code not it trying to download
html as a file.  It does bother me that there is no
DOCTYPE but that shouldn't be the issue.

Other things I've tried...
http://myserver:8080/cgi-bin/koha/mainpage.pl?.cgi
http://myserver:8080/cgi-bin/koha/mainpage.pl?.html

Both show the page properly.

I'm torn between if this a browser issue or an Apache
issue but either way it's not right.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?  What
else to try?  Any more info anyone needs?  etc.

Any help with this is much appreciated, it's driving
me insane.

Matt