[Koha] bulkmarcimport and unicode data

R Hariram Aatreya rhariram at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 23:14:32 NZST 2007

I missed cc'g it to the lists.
hari.

======
"Steven F. Baljkas" <baljkas at mts.net>
	date		Mar 21, 2007 3:01 PM
	subject		Re: [Koha] bulkmarcimport and unicode data
	mailed-by		gmail.com

Steven,

Thanks for your reply.

> Wasn't there something in the past few months about an incompatibility in bulkmarcimport.pl with certain (?) parts of unicode?

I did search the archives. Could not find anything relevant.

> Would it be possible for you to do a global search and replace for those 3 problem characters (with whatever tools you have on hand) and recode them into MARC8? That might be a work-around for now.

>From what I understand, MARC8 does not support Tamil.

Right now, the solution I have in mind (as a work around) is:
1. replace each of the 3 problem chars with a control char
2. mysqldump the koha database
3. replace the control char with the corresponding problem char
4. restore into mysql

Is there a better work around ?

Unless someone is already at it,
I would like to look at the incompatibility issue
for unicode in bulkmarcimport.
Would you know whats the problem ?
Any pointers would be useful.

Thanks,