[Koha] Catalogue Record

Joshua M. Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Sat Jun 30 03:24:15 NZST 2007

Hi Catherine,

See some answers below:

----- "Catherine Fagan" <cfagan at metier3.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Everyone!
>
> Ive just installed the newest version of Koha and ive created a MARC
> Tag
> that is particularly important to my library, but I don't know how to
> get it to display in the user interface's record. At the moment the
> user
> has to look at the MARC coding to find the information which isnt
> ideal!
>
> Does anyone know how you determine what fields you show as part of a
> record?
There are a few options here ...

As currently implemented, the opac-detail page for Koha 2.2.9 displays
only MARC fields that have been directly mapped to an internal database
table. So your first option would be to map the new field to a koha table
field that you don't currently use (this can be done from within the
biblio frameworks section of Koha). This is a bit of a cludge, as you
might need to re-position the variable in your templates and you'd have
to take good notes to reproduce the change after your next upgrade.

Perhaps a better approach, would be to customize the ISBD detail page
which you could set as the default view and use to display any field
in the MARC record. (you can set ISBD to be the default from system
preference, and you can customize the ISBD display from system
preferences too). For more info on the ISBD options check out the
user's guide:

http://kohadocs.org/usersguide/ch01s01.html

What I'd be really excited about, is sponsorship from a library to
create a XSLT-based detail page. The theory is, you'd be able to
define any fields in the record that you wanted to display, position
them, wrap them in links, etc., all with just some basic XSLT
stylesheet editing that could be done from within system prefs.

I've did a proof of concept mockup of this for Nelsonville here:

http://search.athenscounty.lib.oh.us/cgi-bin/koha/opac-cardview.pl?bib=44090

You can see how easy it is to edit the XSLT stylesheet by viewing
this example:

http://search.athenscounty.lib.oh.us/opac-tmpl/compact.xsl

Any takers? :-)