[Koha] Dealing with bad MARC records

Kevin O'Rourke lists at caboose.org.uk
Mon Jun 18 20:58:20 NZST 2007

This question is not directly related to Koha itself, but to preparing
MARC records for import.

Some of the records we've been downloading from Libraries and Archives
Canada contain a "5||" (two pipe characters) tag with information about
translation.  As far as I can tell this is not valid MARC.

I developed a little Java program to pre-process records before
importing into Koha, using the marc4j library to read MARC.  This
library refuses to read records containing non-numeric tags, causing us
problems.

Can anyone recommend any tools for ensuring that a MARC record contains
only valid MARC?  I could use MarcEdit to 'break' the files, edit out
the bad tags and then re'make' them but this is a bit complicated,
time-consuming and error-prone.

--
Kevin O'Rourke
ICT Coordinator, National Teachers' Institute, Kaduna, Nigeria