[Koha] z39.50 search errors. How can I configure IBERMARC syntax on Koha?

Joshua M. Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Thu Jun 14 01:00:57 NZST 2007

----- "Joshua M. Ferraro" <jmf at liblime.com> wrote:
> > Hi José,
> >
> > See below:
> >
> > ----- "José Alberto Albarracín Ramírez" <jaalbarracin at yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi to all!
> > >
> > >     I need to solve my z39.50 search error a.s.a.p. PLEASE,
> PLEASE,
> >
> > > HELP!! I HAVE A VERY HIGH NUMBER OF BOOK AND JOURNALS TO
> > CATALOGUE!!
> > >
> > >     I configure 11 z39.50 spanish servers which are using
> IBERMARC
> > > (based on MARC21) and the z39.50 LOC server. All my searche are
> > > failure. I get this "holy" error: "500 Internal Server Error".
> > Could you please let us know:
> >
> > 1. what version of Koha are you running?
> > 2. what operating system and version/distro?
> >
> > Also, if you're getting a 500 error, there's gonna be an Apache log
> > saying what the error is, please paste in the relevant lines from
> > that
> > log.
> >
> > >     Anyone (I don't remember his/her name), told me a few days
> > > before,
> > > that my proble would be cause because of I have missconfigured o
> > not
> > > configured Koha MARC21 syntax as IBERMARC syntax:
> > > http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/defns/oids.html. I and my
> computer
> > > administrator try to solve it through different way bay, now I
> > think
> > > he/she was righet and that cause could be "my all z3950 search
> > > problems
> > > cuase".
> > >
> > >    I try to download some bibliographic record only from LOC, and
> > can
> > > find it but, can't download it. I do believe that I need to
> > configure
> > > my syntax to IBERMARC to Koha can understand what is searching
> and
> > > downloading.
> > >
> > >    What do you think? Can anyone help me, please?
> > It's possible we need to add a new column to the Z39.50 table to
> > allow
> > specifying the OID for the server. Could you give us the Z39.50
> > target info so we can test the target's responses? (please don't
> send
> > user/password info on the list though).
> After a quick peek, we already have this column in the table,
> koha/z3950/search.pl has the following:
>
> $option1->option('preferredRecordSyntax', $server->{syntax});
>
> The syntax specification you can define from the Z39.50 Server setup
> area in System Parameters, however, it's currently a drop-down box
> with only two options, USMARC and UNIMARC. I suspect if you added
> IBERMARC to the list it would work. I'm not sure whether ZOOM has
> a table to convert all the names to OIDs ... but I'll find out and
> let you know.
IBERMARC is supported, as well as the rest of the OIDs. Here's the
relevant area:

http://search.cpan.org/src/MIRK/Net-Z3950-ZOOM-1.18/lib/Net/Z3950.pm

I've committed an update to the template file in rel_2_2 for the NPL
and default templates.

Tell your sysadmin to grab the latest copy and update your system:
http://cvs.savannah.nongnu.org/viewvc/koha/koha-tmpl/intranet-tmpl/default/en/parameters/z3950servers.tmpl?view=log&root=koha&pathrev=rel_2_2
http://cvs.savannah.nongnu.org/viewvc/koha/koha-tmpl/intranet-tmpl/npl/en/parameters/z3950servers.tmpl?view=log&root=koha&pathrev=rel_2_2

Then, when you set up an IBERMARC target you can define it as such.

Let us know if that works.

Cheers,