[Koha] running Koha on a dedicated computer?

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Mon Feb 19 21:47:33 NZDT 2007

On Thursday 15 February 2007 22:37, H Lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   We've got a question that I hope can be answered here. We're currently
> running Koha on a Debian Linux PC. This PC is dedicated for patron use in
> the Library and is usually unattended most of the time.
>
>   The problem we're having is that kids are constantly using this machine
> for playing games and web surfing. I'd like to lock down this PC so that it
> is used only for Koha. I've tried firewall rules to prevent general web
> browsing but apparently this can be defeated (how they do it I don't know).
> I've tried deleting the games links in the Linux desktop start menu but
> there is always the Terminal window that can be opened up to run programs.
>
>   How can I set up this dedicated PC so that it can ONLY run Koha? This
> would mean disabling all options to execute everything other than Koha (via
> the web browser) and the option to log off/shut down/restart.
>
>   Ideally, what I would like is to have a default user profile in Linux
> that, when logged in, would only allow Koha to run and nothing else. I
> could envision this as no icons on the Desktop or Panels and nothing in the
> Start menu except the Log Out or Shutdown choices. Koha would automatically
> start up on the web browser when this login profile is started. If I can
> get a user profile to do this, then I can have another user profile for
> Library staff to use that has a "normal" Linux desktop.

This is a Linux issue not a Koha issue.  What you need is a kiosk environment
and there is loads of info on the web about this.  Basically lockdown the
desktop.  If your desktop is KDE, seek out kiosktool; if it's gnome, you need
lockdown editor.  Other X managers have similar tools.

Ask yourself the question, "Why are games installed on the system?"  If there
is no reason to have them, uninstall them, that way your pupils can't play.

To stop your koha user from surfing the web, you need to look at url
redirection - basically every url entered gets redirected to your koha site.
Again there is lots of info on how to do this on the web.

--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation