[Koha] Several concerns

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Wed Aug 22 21:08:04 NZST 2007

> 2)  I was playing with the system preferences and was wondering how do I link stylesheets to the system? They're asking for a complete URL.

There should be a few options for specifying a custom stylesheet (unless
I'm wrong about how your version works). In the OPAC, there are system
preferences for opaccolorstylesheet, opaclayoutstylesheet, and
opacstylesheet.

opaccolorstylesheet and opaclayoutstylesheet work together,
pointing to files in your OPAC template directory
(/opac-tmpl/yourtemplate/en/includes). These were created for use
specifically in conjunction with the 'npl' templates. The stylesheets
separate color from layout and other stylings so that custom color schemes
can be easily created without affecting the layout.

The opacstylesheet preferences, if set, overrides the local stylesheet
designations (like opaccolorstylesheet, opaclayoutstylesheet, or any other
stylesheet specified by your template). This preferences requires a full
URL because you can point to a stylesheet anywhere on the internet
(useful if you have a managed Koha installation and don't have access to
your template directory).

The same is basically true for the intranet. In the NPL templates, you can
specify a custom stylesheet (the default layout stylesheet is
"hard-coded"). The intranetstylesheet parameter allows you to point to an
external stylesheet.

> 4)   Is there any special way for typing the file paths of images and ccs files so they are picked up by the system? An example would help.

If you're using the opacstylesheet option, your stylesheet will need to
use full URLs to point to any images in the stylesheet. If your stylesheet
is in the template includes directory, and your images are in the default
image location (/opac-tmpl/yourtemplate/en/images, for instance), you just
need to make sure the pointers are to the right directory:

background-image: url(../images/add.gif);

> 5)  What is template encoding and the difference between iso-8859-1 and utf-8.

Template encoding affects how accented and non-Western characters are
displayed by the browser. iso-8859-1 encoding may not display those
"extended" characters correctly. If your collection contains records which
require proper display of such content, choose utf-8.

  -- Owen

----
Web Developer
Nelsonville Public Library